Friday, January 4, 2013

Recommerce & Upcycle Your Wardrobe

Fashionista.com's article "The Best Places to Sell Your Clothes Online" couldn't have come into my life at a better time.  I've been telling Ms. East Coast that I have so many clothes that I don't wear or have only worn once.  With a pending move in my future, the time is now!  But it's so hard when you really love an article of clothing to part with it!  Are you with me?  I love when my girlfriends come over and borrow my clothes but they rarely ever take any off my hands for good.  They're my girlfriends so I would never let them give me money for them.  Last week when Leah was over she was bugging me to start selling what I didn't wear anymore.  So I'm going to get my bum in gear and get my clothes in the recommerce market.  The article was so helpful by giving the Pros & Cons of online sites where one could sell their clothes.  It definitely takes the guesswork out of listing my clothes/shoes.     

Here are the sites that they researched along with their Pros & Cons:

Hello LaMode ***
How it works: Buy and sell gently used luxury items in a community-like setting. The site’s inventory is carefully curated so they won’t accept everything, but it’s also meticulously checked for authenticity so you don’t have to worry about ending up with a fake. The site acts as a third party and the buyer isn’t charged until the item is certified and shipped.
Pros: Confidence for buyers that you’re getting what you paid for; Selling is free and HLM just adds a commission to the seller’s requested price so the seller gets the amount they want.
Cons: They’re selective and it’s luxury-only.

***Unfortunately if I have had the privilege of purchasing a luxury item, I'm probably not going to be selling it!  Although I do have this quilted Alexander Wang jean jacket that is too boxy for my frame...

Threadflip***
How it works: You can upload a pic of the item you want to sell with the click of a button through the Threadflip app (or on you’re computer), fill in a simple form and bam! your designer or vintage item is listed in an easy-to-use, boutique-like setting. When a buyer purchases an item, Threadflip emails the seller a prepaid USPS shipping label. Once the buyer receives the item, the seller’s account is credited after a five day satisfaction period. The seller can cash out the money or use the funds towards future purchases on Threadflip.
If it all seems like too much effort, you can also apply for their new White Glove Service, through which you get a prepaid box to send them a bunch of clothes in; they select, price and list your items in their Editor’s Picks closet and you receive 60% of the total for items that sell.
Pros: The content is good and the site feels friendly, smart, personal and easy to use.
Cons: There’s a 15% fee for selling–though, this is comparable to competitors.

***Hello White Glove Service!  Love it.

ReFashioner ***
How it works: Become a member, submit your (quality designer or vintage) item(s) to be vetted by the Refashioner team and include “your garments’ stories” and “emotion tags” at the end. When someone buys your piece, Refashioner sends you a shipping label, you ship it via USPS, and three days later…money appears in your account which you can either cash out or use to shop.
Pros: Refashioner does most of the work.
Cons: It’s invite-only. They use language like “sell your couture” and “Refashion Police” and other gimmicky things which can be a little irritating.

***I really am intrigued...of course I want to be invited!  Well played.  

The Real Real ***
How it works: It’s basically an online high end designer consignment boutique. They’re pretty selective and have cool features like personal stylists who will come to your house to pick out and take your clothes. The members-only site (it’s easy to join) also has curated flash sales instead of having a standard e-commerce platform. Sellers get 60% or 70% of the selling price depending on the amount sold.
Pros: It’s fancy, has great inventory and prices, and seems trustworthy and easy to use.
Cons: We might feel a little too intimidated to sell on here. The process is very involved since it’s consignment.

***I get emails of the daily sales and peruse them just as often. They're creative with their categories and stir up enough interest that keeps me clicking and adding items in my shopping basket, then I get distracted (or snapped back into realty) by one of my children hahaha so they stay in the basket! But they're mine for a moment or so!
 
Bib + Tuck***
How it works: What makes this site interesting is that there’s no actual money involved. It’s truly a place to swap clothes and accessories. It’s a very simple concept.
Pros: You get new clothes for free!
Cons: You’re not getting any money for your clothes.

***This interests me because we do so many outfit posts in a given year.  However, to showcase those truly new and on-trend items this may not be the right site for that.  But I could always spread my clothes around amongst various sites!  Hmmmm...

Copious ***
How it works: This buzzy site, which raised $5M from Google Ventures last year, features cast-offs from bloggers and stylists like Brad Goreski. There’s also a social discovery angle. To list, you just pay a 3.5% transaction fee. You can sell just about anything that falls under the clothing/accessories/jewelry categories.
Pros: It’s not too selective, and is easy to use.
Cons: Could be a bit overwhelming to shop–the whole social thing isn’t for everyone.

***I signed up on Copious months ago and still have not listed anything.  It was a little bit overwhelming how it's set up.  I'm a fan of The Real Real's format opposed to this one's.  

Poshmark ***
How it works: Poshmark is a bit Pinterest-y. You simply create a “closet” (of women’s clothes and accessories), which people can shop from and you can follow people whose style you’re into. There’s even an Instagram-like app you can use to photograph and list your unwanted goods. They provide shipping labels and you keep 80% of the selling price.
Pros: Simple platform, functions well on iOs.
Cons: Seems like the kind of site you might end up spending a long time on without actually buying anything.

***I'm apprehensive to even set up a profile b/c we all know how addictive Pinterest can be!  But it looks great because you can see how cute they looked in their looks and how they styled an item. 

Material Wrld ***
How it works: In addition to having a cool name (who needs vowels), Material Wrld features cool stuff from cool people. You have to get their approval to sell, but if it ends up on the site, it will be in good company and will likely get seen.
Pros: Good inventory; feels like the cool, indie re-commerce site.
Cons: Maybe too niche.

***Ohhhhh Dangggaarrr!  As soon as I opened it I saw a pair of of Louboutin's in my size!!!! X out, X out!  OH and right on cue...Olive's demanding I "unbutton, unbutton" her cardigan b/c the girl has an outfit change ever 2 hours.  No Joke and she's only 2!!! 

I will be putting up some of my items shortly...now to make a decision where!  I'll have to wait until the kids go to bed before I could make a sound decision.  HaHa!  Enjoy your weekend everyone!

With Love from SoCal,

XO

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that´s awesome...haven´t heard of any of them before!!

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment we love hearing from you xo