Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Love, Olia

I am pleased to introduce you to one of the most beautiful girls, inside and out that I have met since moving to CA.  I have been a client of Martine's Skin Care for years and heard stories of Olia through her mother Martine (whom I adore).  I finally had the pleasure of meeting Olia over a year ago when she decided to leave the corporate world for a promising future in the esthetician salon founded by her mother in 1999 in San Diego.  If you are in the San Diego area, you must set up an appointment with either Martine or Olia. They give the most amazing facials and shape an eyebrow like no other!  Their experience and knowledge is evident after one visit with them.  Well the good news is, we get to benefit from Olia's knowledge and wisdom by reading her new blog, Love, Olia.  It's up and running now, below are tips for skin during the Winter Months be sure to check out her newest post on Red Lips (read here)!


Saturday, January 19, 2013

Tips for Winter Skin


Winter can be a brutal time for your skin. Tight, dry, uncomfortable skin & chapped lips are an almost everyday occurrence for me here in San Diego so I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like anywhere else! Thankfully, having a mom who taught me the ropes on skin care and now working at our salon, I've learned how to take care of my skin in all types of weather... But let's be honest, this time is the worst!
I thought I'd share my skin care must haves and tips for this time of the year. Most are things we carry here that I have become accustomed to and swear by, but I've also included some other products that I have done some research on. Enjoy!

Untitled #2

1. Sunscreen!
Even though it's cold and cloudy, the sun still shines and a snowy glare can get back at your skin! Make sure to use SPF when you are going to be outdoors. My favorite is Anesi Creme Haute Protection (available at Martine's Skin Care). From Spain, it is a UVA & UVB ray protection and feels very light on the skin (unlike most thick, greasy sunscreens). Also--key for me, it doesn't clog pores!! Also available in a tinted version which is great if you just want to run out quick without any makeup on. If not available, I also recommend Clarins 'Sun Wrinkle Control' Cream For the Face.

2. Cleanse
This is a step I think most of us know to be vital, but hey, I thought I'd mention it. I like to wash with a milky cleanser so that I don't strip my skin of all its natural oils. My favorite is Algotherm Gentle Cleansing Milk (from France) and available at Martine's Skin Care. For those who are looking for a simple solution, Cetaphil is a great alternative as well!

3. Exfoliate
For the most part, the top layer of skin cells are dead which is why your skin begins to look dull. When you exfoliate you get rid of all those dead skin cells and get back that healthy looking glow that we all strive for. I like to stay away from harsh brushes or soaps with beads or scrubs in it. These can sometimes bring out redness and actually inflame the skin causing sometimes more breakouts. Instead, I recommend opting for a milk or gel cleanser with a small amount of Glycolic to help exfoliate away that dead skin. Don't forget to treat yourself to a Facial, preferably one with Glycolic. This will help bring back that glow!

3. Moisturize
Honestly, I'm a little obsessed with moisturizing. My skin is naturally dry and I am a little, shall we say, paranoid of those scary things we called ~wrinkles~ so I tend to moisturize constantly! This time of year any natural oils and moisture is sucked from your skin making it more susceptible to redness, irritation and itchiness. Pick a good moisturizer, one preferably a little heavier than you would use during the summer & more humid months. My absolute favorite? A special little night cream called Dr. Grandel Hydro Lipid Ultra Night. To die!!
Oh, and don't forget your lips. Burt's Bees is the only thing that works for me.

Remember, be good to your skin & it will be good to you!
Love,
Olia



2 comments:

  1. Remind me to pick up that tinted SPF when I run out of my Smashbox please!!! What # SPF is it?

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I will. It is SPF 30. Everyone loves it!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment we love hearing from you xo