It's the holiday season, which can mean only one thing: It's party time! Whether it's a holiday soiree, a small get-together, or a fabulous New Year's fete, knowing how to navigate a party with ease and grace is crucial. If your mailbox (or should I say inbox) is flooded with celebratory invites, then this is a must-read for you. Ladies, I present to you the Proper Party Girl Commandments:
- Thou shall arrive within the first 30 minutes.
- Thou shall seek out the host and graciously thank them for the beautiful party.
- Thou shall provide the host with a small gift such as a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates.
- Thou shall introduce thy guest upon each introduction.
- Thou shalt not bring any unexpected or uninvited guests. Sorry party crashers.
Matters Concerning Drinking
- Thou shalt not drink excessively.
- Thou shalt avoid mixing drinks.
- Thou shalt not present thyself as a hot mess.
With Regards to Eating
- Thou shalt not overeat.
- Thou shalt not double dip. Ever. Ew.
- Thou shalt not walk around with multiple hors d'oeuvres.
- Thou shall toss used napkins and toothpicks in the trash.
- Thou shall check for leftovers in thy teeth before engaging in conversation.
Terms of Conversation
- Thou shalt not corner anyone into a conversation the entire night (unless he's cute).
- Thou shall avoid topics pertaining to business and other potentially unpleasant matters.
- Thou shalt not complain.
- Thou shalt not 'pop in' to the party for 10 minutes and leave.
- Thou shall bid the host adieu if it is an intimate gathering. However, if it's a big party, thou shall quietly leave instead.
- Thou shalt not overstay thy welcome. (Don't linger... It's creepy.)
- Thou shalt not ever leave a birthday party before the cake has been served.
What's the biggest party disaster you've ever witnessed?